*Ann Voskamp writes a wonderful series on spiritual journaling. I see my drawing and better journaling practice joining together very soon
I plan to make the very most of it.
Black Bean & Mushroom Enchiladas
- 1 large carton mushrooms
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 1 small can green chilies, chopped and drained
- 6 flour tortilla shells
- 1 jar enchilada sauce
- 8 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
Wash and slice the mushrooms. In a little bit of cooking oil, sauté the mushrooms in a skillet until soft. Add black beans and stir, continuing to cook for 5-10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, add more oil and sauté onion and green pepper until soft. Add canned green chilies and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Spray a baking dish with cooking oil and pour enough enchilada sauce to just cover the bottom. To assemble the enchiladas, pour a little bit of enchilada sauce on a large dinner plate. Place a tortilla shell on the plate and distribute a little bit of sauce over both sides of the tortilla shell. Place a scoop of the black bean mushroom mixture on the tortilla, then a scoop of the pepper onion mixture, then half a handful of shredded cheese. Roll up the tortilla shell and place in the bottom of a baking dish. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the rolled enchiladas. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbling at the edges. Uncover, sprinkle more Monterey jack cheese on top and continue baking for 15 minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and chopped, fresh cilantro.
Spanish Rice Recipe
2 tablespoons olive oil (can use up to 1/4 cup)
1 onion, chopped fine
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups of medium or long-grain white rice
3 cups* chicken stock (or vegetable stock if vegetarian)
1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste or 1 cup of diced fresh or cooked tomatoes, strained
Pinch of oregano
1 teaspoon salt
*Check the instructions on the rice package for the proportions of liquid to rice. They can range from 1:1 to 2:1. If your rice calls for 2 cups of water for every cup of rice, then for this recipe, use 4 cups of stock for 2 cups of rice.
1 In a large skillet brown rice in olive oil, medium/high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook onion rice mixture, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes, or until onions are softened.
2 In a separate sauce pan bring stock to a simmer. Add tomato sauce, oregano, and salt. Add rice to broth. Bring to a simmer. Cover. Lower heat and cook 15-25 minutes, depending on the type of rice and the instructions on the rice package. Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
Serves 4 to 6.
- 2 packages lemon instant pudding
- Milk, amount depends on pudding brand, check panel on box
- 2 cups heavy cream, whipped
- 2 rounded tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 pint raspberries, for garnish
- Store bought butter cookies or shortbread rounds
In a medium bowl, stir pudding and milk and set aside. Beat whipping cream and sugar until peaks form. Add about 1/4 of the whipped cream to the pudding and gently fold it in to lighten it. Fold the remaining whipped cream into pudding and serve in small bowls or cocktail glasses on an underliner plate. Place a few berries on each dessert to garnish and serve a few cookies on the underliner plates.
- I am continuing to stop and breathe multiple times throughout the day.
- I am remembering to laugh often and deeply.
- I am taking control of time and designing it to fit my needs instead of chasing behind it in some mad race towards nothing.
- I am finding passion.
- I am setting goals and being forgiving if those goals take longer than expected.
- I am anticipating and excited about the days ahead.
- I am reconnecting with friends.
- Getting in a regular practice of yoga time
- Healthy meal plans without constantly running to the store
- Five full days of Home educating. We have 10 days until our six-week break and there are two things I would like to finish before that time.
- Continued purging and training the girls to help with the household. A trip to Goodwill is in the very near future
- Begin my personal Bible study that will take me through August. Disciple starts August 25th.
- Be aware of complaing. Day 1 of Complaint Free Living starts tomorrow morning!
He said, love the Lord your God with all your passion, all your prayer, all your muscle and all your intelligence--and love your neighbor as well as you do yourself. Luke 10:27God is my measure, my portion, my plumbline. Where He tells me to stand, I will stand. Where He tells me I am not to go, I will not go. Where He leads me I will follow. This is my calling, my holy obligation, my sole responsibility.