1.10.2011

In which I Ponder the Physics of Forward Momentum

"Perseverance is more prevailing than violence and many things which cannot be overcome when they are together yield themselves up when taken little by little." Plutarch 

I went for a run the other day(since then I have been snowed in, a phenomenon which does not help matters). December was not a good month for running, we traveled many miles, there were birthdays and holidays and some form of virus that lasted for weeks and attacked my lungs and other breathing apparati. I didn't NOT run --well, for two weeks I did NOT run--but I didn't run with any sort of consistency, and I certainly didn't make any progress in pace or distance. So anyway, I went for a run the other day, and it was a tremendous effort. In fact, it has been a tremendous effort every run since the two week health hiatus. As I was struggling and panting and pushing and gasping through the last tenth of a mile I realized something. I lost my forward momentum.

Now, I have one of two choices: I fight to get it back or I let it go altogether.

One of the things I don't like most about myself is my propensity to start things gung-ho and then peter out on them. It's part of the reason why my now nine months of consistent running is something which makes me so proud. I realize, now, that it's the loss of forward momentum that makes me lose interest and move on to the next exciting thing.  Let's face it, everything is more fun when it's new, exciting and still relatively easy. It's when the shine has worn off and the hill starts to curve upwards, when the knees must be lifted higher and the lungs start to burn, this is when it is tempting to just call it quits.

Maybe this is the year that following through at last on one thing, that was only ever work, and will only ever continue to be work for as long as I continue to pursue it, is what will lead me to work all the harder this year to not only begin the changes I hope to make, but to see them through.  Forward momentum is great, but it will only take me downhill. On the uphill portion of the journey, I'm going to have actually work and sweat and push a little harder.

1 comment:

contessa20 said...

This so sounds like me.
Please get off my toes.