2.19.2011

To Hear and Be Heard

    Over the last six months God has really been speaking to me about the importance of how I conduct my relationships. More and more He's impressing on me the everyone's need to feel "heard."  We live in a world filled with noise: our TV's blare, our phones ring, our texts bleep, our kids talk, our appointment calendars holler, our obligations clamor. We start to look much like the grinch with felt tipped mallets pounding our head shouting on about, "All the noise, noise, NOISE, NOISE!"

Time is a precious commodity and so is enough quiet to get a word in edgewise.

I'm not always as good at it as I would like to be, but I'm working on just shutting my mouth and hearing what it is the people I love are saying, not just with their words, but with their hearts.

   I've also been thinking a bit about blogging. Not in light of giving it up, but merely, the motivation behind it. Annie Dillard said in a Pilgrim at Tinker Creek,
"Seeing is of course very much a matter of verbalization. Unless I call my attention to what passes before my eyes, I simply won't see it. It is, as Ruskin says, "not merely unnoticed but in the full sense of the word unseen"...I have to say the words to describe what I'm seeing ...but if I want to notice the lesser cataclysms of valley life, I have to maintain in my head a running description of the present."
No doubt if I wrote a bit more like Annie Dillard, more people would want to hear me.  But I don't, and they don't. It would be silly to say that I don't love comments or to hear what people think about what I say here, but I really think after a bit of soul searching, that what I share isn't because it is necessarily of momentous import, except that it is...to me.

Like marking stones of remembrance, putting words to my daily life is what makes God stand out clearly in the moments that might normally be mundane.  Simply waiting for God to always show out in the big ways, which He can and will do, sometimes many times in succession, is to miss Him in the hundreds of tiny ways that He handles each and every detail.

God is the moments; He sees my stones.
I am heard.

2 comments:

Pattie said...

I love this. LOVE.IT.
and I've had the same impression about "being heard" this year as well.

Katie said...

Oh wow I love this too. I have recently discovered the joy of truly being heard...

It is so important. Thanks for sharing your voice with us!!!