5.18.2011

I'm No Superman

God never ceases to amuse me. I posted Monday about my current obsession but what I failed to mention is how very hard He has already been pushing me in another area which I can best describe as tangible radicalism. Basically, I'm being very convicted that I need to seek and be open to ways to live my faith, visibly, tangibly, lovingly. This is not a new concept to me, but after reading David Platt's Radical and now (painfully) working my way through Irresistible Revolution, I am excruciatingly aware that I spend more time reading my Bible then out in the world living it. I don't say that flippantly. The funny part is that God also has me focusing on contemplation, meditation, and solitude. It's clear to see that He knows I will go off the deep end of obsession without some serious balance as I travel through this.

I can't save the world. I can't fix all that is broken in it. I'm not Jesus. Heck, I'm not even Superman.

It's hard. Hard to know where to start. Hard to know what to do. Hard NOT to get caught up in the trap of "waiting while I pray for God to bring the perfect opportunity" (is there even such a thing?).  Hard to not be discouraged by the often glacial speed at which change travels.

Then you read something like this:
"But I began to discover "the greater things" (of John 14:12). It was more than just miracles. I began to see that miracles were not so much an expression of Jesus' mighty power as of his mighty love...What had lasting significance were not the miracles themselves, but Jesus' love. Jesus raised his friend Lazarus from the dead, and a few years later Lazarus died again. Jesus healed the sick, but eventually they caught some other disease.  He fed the thousands and the next day they were hungry again. But what we remember is the love. It wasn't that Jesus healed a leper, but that he touched a leper, because no one touches lepers. And the incredible thing about that love is that now it lives inside of us." Shane Claiborne, Irresistible Revolution

Oddly enough, that gives me great hope to make great change. I don't have to make permanent solutions. I do need to get off my arse and get started with something, the nearest need I see and start filling that need with all the love I can muster. Maybe that love will be food, or time, or a touch, or a jacket, or shoes, or a prayer. Its guise doesn't matter. Its duration doesn't matter. Only love matters. I can't change the world. But I can love the world. If we all loved the world with a love like Jesus loves - not with words and judgement, but with action and compassion - we truly could revolutionize life as we know it.

I'll start. Right now.

2 comments:

Becky Perry said...

I think I'll read this again.

ang klocke said...

Awesome and beautiful, like you. Like Jesus. <3