5.16.2011

Obsession Confession

  I tend to be a bit obsessional about things. I am a total information junkie. I love to learn things that catch my interest and will inhale a wide variety of subject matter in a short period of time if something truly catches my fancy.

Over Lent I gave up reading fiction, and to be honest, I haven't been permitted to take it back again. I did get to widen my reading circle a bit to include some non-theology nonfiction. I'm newly infatuated with the Civil War ( I have a bit of a literary crush on Shelby Foote and was very saddened while writing this to learn that he passed several years ago). I am revisiting an obsession with Intelligent Design, including reading Signature in the Cell, Rare Earth and The Privileged Planet. I like to gather and assemble and sort and store and assimilate knowledge.

I say all of this because I am beginning to move away from one obsession, intelligent design, and latch on to a new obsession: discipline, contemplation and monasticism. I mentioned visiting The Holy Spirit Monastery on Thursday, and it has consumed my imaginings since then. Armed with a new interest, a Kindle that needed organizing and some birthday money, I have developed a reading list for summer. I realize it's ambitious and knowing me, subject to change. I am what I am. I've learned to live with it.

The Summer 2011 Reading List


A Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster
Eat this Book: A conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading by Eugene Peterson
Prayer by Phillip Yancey
A Hunger for God: desiring God through fasting and prayer by John Piper
The Deeper Christian Life by Andrew Murray
Lord, Teach us to Pray by Andrew Murray
A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World by Paul Miller
Revelations of Divine Love by Julian of Norwitch
Saint Benedict by Pope St. Gregory the Great
Listening to God by Charles Stanley
Hand me Another Brick by Charles Stanley
The Scent of Water: Grace for Every Kind of Broken by Naomi Zacharias and Bernice King
Contemplative Prayer by Thomas Merton
Beyond Smells and Bells: The Wonder and Power of Christian Liturgy by Mark Galli

I am also doing more journaling and prayer drawing and am using the following books for meditative purposes:

The Book of Hours by Thomas Merton
Common Prayer: a liturgy for Ordinary Radicals by Shane Claiborne
The Furious Longing of God by Brennan Manning
Souvenirs of Solitude by Brennan Manning
The Way of the Heart by Henri Nouwen

2 comments:

Lorri said...

From one information junkie to another, who also inhales books, great list!

Pattie said...

WOOHOO! I love reading plans. And books. And reading.

and where's the Dostoyevsky we talked about recently???