6.28.2011

Living Water

This week we've been blessed, blessed, blessed with rain glorious rain. Not buckets and barrels full, but enough. Enough to still the dust and bring the green back. Enough to make the grass scratchy instead of crunchy. Enough to fill the air with the moisture and weight of summer. Every day it rains I count it a little gift from God because it means I don't have to run the sprinklers, which is an agreement we made when we moved in here. We are responsible for the lawn remaining green and pretty because one day the landlord is going to want to sell this house, and it's going to need a decent yard for that to happen. I understand that, and it's one of the control issues we traded when we became renters. Still, every time I run the sprinklers what goes through my head is "waste, waste, waste, waste" with each click of the sprinkler.

There are three children in my heart who may or may not be able to attain clean drinking water everyday. They don't have the water they need to survive, and I'm putting cleaner water than they've ever seen back into the ground to make the grass pretty. And what's worse, I'm paying to do that.  What's worse, worse is what I spend in two months on my grass could provide a family with water for a lifetime. 


Would you take 5 minutes and watch this video--in fact take only the first two minutes and then come back here for the short version:

Water for Life Video


Long-story-short: 1 system = 100,000 gallons of clean water. 1 system = $55. Not a month. Just $55 dollars changes the life of a family, or an entire community for an entire generation.

But it doesn't stop there because Compassion brings clean water to communities in the name of the Living Water of Christ. These systems open doors to health, sustenance, hope, education and so much more.

Here's how it works, and how you can help

Maybe you can't commit to $38 a month or the emotional investment it takes to sponsor a child. That's not a problem, because there are so many other ways you can work for the Kingdom.  For most of us, $55 is as little as sacrificing one meal out a month....or maybe, just not wasting clean, potable water on your luxury lawn.

Think about it.

Then the King will say: ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’  Matthew 25:40

2 comments:

Laura said...

oh good grief...seriously, I am all about water this week too. Looking into water.org

Michelle ~ Blogging from the Boonies said...

Awesome, awesome post! I just loved it!! :D Thanks for pointing me to it!