10.17.2011

Simply Living: Day 17: Simply Silent

There was a time, a few years ago, when silence was forced upon me. I've never been one to walk away quietly (shocker, I know), but sometimes God will close your mouth for you if you don't close it yourself.  Even after that there were a few times that I again spoke without thinking, without concern, with only my self and my needs in mind.  Fortunately we were at a place in life then that we were given a great deal more grace and a whole lot of gentle, firm instruction.

This is a good thing. Bull-headed, big mouth people like me need it.

It's only taken 38.5 years but I am beginning to learn that sometimes, life is a lot simpler when you are simply silent.

This has been, still is, a hard lesson for me.  I want to BE right and I want people to know I am right.  Anything less is to look the fool.
I want to be heard.  I want my message to be the loudest, boldest, most  memorable thing in people's minds for many days to come.

But you see, that...that's all about me (yes, yes, I do see the irony of saying that in a blog where everything I write is all about me--heh, but I digress. Back to me.)

Sometimes I am going to look the fool - probably in about five minutes.
Some days I am going to be misunderstood, misquoted, misheard.
Some people have already formed unchanging opinions about who I am and what I think.

Yelling louder isn't going to change that. It's going to wear me out, steal my peace, tarnish my joy and harden my heart.

I'm done fighting, yelling and convincing. This is me. Sometimes I'm not just wrong, I'm big-ugly wrong.  Sometimes I still say hurtful things without thinking. Sometimes I really am that much of a jerk.

But mostly, I'm just searching to find the greatest joy imaginable by seeking to make more of the Most High God.  There is nothing about me to be amplified, only traits of His to be magnified.  Rather than shouts of self-defense, there should be songs of praise.

If I can't praise, then I should be silent and let the rocks do my job.

Life becomes more simple when I stop being so all fired defensive and learn to just be silent and praise my King. He's worthy.  I am nothing. And yet He fights for me, when I am still.


1 comment:

Madame Rubies said...

Sometimes it is scary how you write things that are inside my head.