10.22.2011

Simply Living: Day 22: Simply Reading (aka Read-a-thon posts found here)


Today is the day! It's time for Dewey's Read-a-thon!!! Basically for me this means that today I will read, and blog, and read some more, and blog, and change locations and read and blog, and go for a short walk and read and blog, and read and read and blog and blog, and read, and blog and read...oh and blog.
I won't be going the full twenty four hours because I have responsibilities that grown-ups and pastor's wives have tomorrow and I can't be a walking zombie, but I will get as many hours of reading in as I can before say 11pm or midnight or so tonight. That's a good sixteen hours right there!
I decided rather than making a bazillion different entries for today I would just keep it all right here.  The most current update will be at the top under the button. If you come here later and want to read from the beginning, go to the bottom and scroll up.  I'll be around about every two hours for an update (last time I did this, I went every hour and it was too much, it interrupted my reading too much. So without further ado:

10PM 
Good Heavens! I finally finished A Little History of the World!   I need to take out my contacts and grab a snack and find some fluff to read for a bit. That was one looooong book!


8PM
I'm kind of tired of sitting around reading. I picked two books that are proving long to get through and  that's a bit disheartening. I am within just over an hour of finishing A Little History of the World, and I am determined to do it. I'm not checking back in until I do.  I'd like to start The Knife of letting go tonight. I don't expect to finish any more books after the history book...but SO HELP ME I WILL FINISH THAT ONE! And I will do it by 10pm.

6PM 
I read less this hour than any other hour. I think I just needed a little break and to look at something other than words.  Instead I talked to my very attractive hubby (so pleasant on the eyes, he is).  Took a showers and cleaned my bathroom a bit. We are hosting our life group here tomorrow so there is a small amount of housework that goes with that, less now that I have spent the month simplifying. It won't take more than 5 or 10 minutes an hour from now until I go to bed to be ready. My girls are exhausted from a sleepover and asking for dinner, which tonight I do not have planned. I'll need to figure that out.  All that said, I did read a book in this block.  I whizzed through Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize this hour.  It's a short collection of articles and essays she's written about minimalism, some of it about the philosophy behind it, and a great deal of it some very pratical how-to's.  It's only .99 for Kindle (or any Kindle app) so if you're at all curious about the concept, I do recommend it. And now, back to the entire history of the world while I think about what to feed my really, really tired children.

4PM 
A couple things: first of all, it takes longer to read a history of the world than you would think, even if it is a little one.  I am up to the middle ages from the beginning on time (heh- that makes me laugh!).  I am determined to finish this book today for two reasons 1) it's a library book and it's due. 2) I'm really enjoying it. It's certainly not detailed but it does do a nice job of putting pieces together. Since I am discovering a rather latent love of history, and discovering that I learned nothing of value about it while I was in school, I like finding where the "random" pieces and people fit. I recommend it, even if it was originally written for children.
To sum up: 

I need to take a shower and NOT read for a bit and then I need a break from history. I am going to look for something a bit shorter to tackle for a bit.

2 PM 
I decided to go with Choosing Simplicity during lunch and read a few chapters of that. Then I got up, came into the office and wiped out all of Leo Babauta's The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life (if you are just coming here for the read-a-thon, I have been blogging the entire month on Living Simply so this went right along with that).  I'm trying to decide if I should go back to Choosing Simplicity or spend the next two hours reading the Little History of the World (linked below). I think I could finish it in two hours.  I also have The Knife of Never Letting Go to read. I have heard that it's quite good and my girls have expressed interest so I want to give it a preview before they do. It might be better to save that for later when I am sleepy and need something to really grab my attention.  I'm also contemplating a shower and a walk.  And I'm about to move this party back outside.

12 PM
PUPPIES! I "suffered" a 30 minute distractions when my wonderful friend, Christie brought her sweet puppies over to show off. I am very much in love with King Cavalier spaniels and her puppies are always so adorable.  The girls returned from their sleepover next door at Miss Tish's and I relocated from inside to outside in the delicious sunshine. I think after lunch I will set up the hammock.  I did finish my first book - Buried Prey by John Sandford weighing in at 390 pages ( I was 80 pages in when the read-a-thon started).  I haven't decided if I will go with my E-book next or on to A Little History of the World which is a book I am considering for school. Or I could go with Choosing Simplicity which is a bit of an easier pick up, put down read and might be better for my lunch hour. 

10:00 AM
I am still reading the Sanford book Buried Prey. I'm hoping to finish it around 11AM and then I am going to sit for a bit and read Leo Babauta's "Simply guide to a Minimalist Life" That's not a long book so I don't expect it to take more than an hour or so to read through. I'm also very much looking forward to some pizza leftovers for lunch.

The Officially Dewey Read-a-thon blog (linked above) asks us to answer a few questions for those who are stopping by:

1)Where are you reading from today? Milledgeville, Ga. No. I bet you have never heard of it.

2)Three random facts about me…
 I live smack dab on a lake and plan to spend most of my day overlooking it whilst I read
 I literally cannot remember a time in my life when I wasn't able to read and didn't love reading
 This is only my second time participating in the read-a-thon

3)How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours?
 Roughly 4-6. I don't think I will finish them all...but maybe.....

4)Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)? I hope to participate at least sixteen hours, update my own blog 8 times and visit 40 other readers

5)If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, any advice for people doing this for the first time? I am not a veteran but my advice is JUST KEEP READING! and have some good snacks.

8:00 AM
We are starting this morning with a cup of coffee and the John Sandford book that I started yesterday.  I love his Lucas Davenport series and this is the latest installment. I am about one hundred pages in already and have about three hundred more to go. I hope to finish this book today so it can be returned to the library. See you around 10 am!


12 comments:

Jenn and The Cats of Castle Coull said...

I have only made 24 hrs once and was so dead the next day I don't know that I'll ever do it again. Enjoy the John Sanford. He's on my TBR list.

Wendy said...

Ooooh, puppies *LOVE!!!* Have a great day, Dana - nice to see you here today :)

nanscorner said...

Puppies are a great distraction. Happy reading!

Amy said...

So happy to have you participating in the Readathon! Just do what you can, Dana!

I hope you have a good book or two to read & don't forget the challenges, they're some good prizes!

Have a fun Readathon Day & Happy Reading Dana!

shaunesay said...

I have to move around a lot too, it's super hard to keep my focus for a long time, so I end up blogging more than I should, and visiting others! but that's a good thing right? I've heard great thing about The Knife of Never Letting Go, I have it to read as well, hope you enjoy it!

Here's a little cheer to help you keep going!

(To the tune of "Rawhide")

Readin’ Readin’ Readin’
Keep those pages turnin’
Your page count it’s a growin’
It’s all about the Readin’
Read-a-thon!

So glad you could join us today!

Shaunie from team CocoaPuffs

Trish said...

Hey Dana! I'm sorry about the miscommunication regarding the readathon cheerleader blog. Got you all updated (luckily it hasn't been noted as not participating for too long). Again, so so sorry.

Hope you're having a wonderful readathon!

Allie said...

GO GO GO! READ READ READ!

I hope you get that book finished! We're all cheering for you!

Literate Housewife said...

Now's the time to power through! You can do it!!! Read, read, read!

Care said...

CHEERS! You are doing awesome! wishing you a fabulous ReadathoN!!

Chrisbookarama said...

You're doing great!

nanscorner said...

Happy reading!

samantha.1020 said...

A "fluffy" read sounds like the perfect way to keep you going :) Hope you are having lots of fun reading!

*Keep it up,
You're doing great,
Read lots of books,
And stay up late!*