11.09.2011

Mele Kalikimaka is the Thing to Say

I took this picture when we were walking around downtown last weekend. It completely cracks me up for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was that I had  to stand on a busy street corner and squat in a less than flattering manner to get the right angle to shoot something no one else could really see and which I am sure left them wondering "Why is that crazy woman squatting and taking pictures of the street sign?"  And then I realize that probably no one even noticed since I'm not actually famous nor do I resemble a super model.

What I love even more about it though is the message. Isn't this often the way we live our lives? We see something unpleasant and we walk right into it.  Or we know something is going to be painful and we just keep walking as though perhaps the outcome could be something other than what we know is going to happen.  If we were really honest with ourselves we would say "If I walk straight into this hornet's nest, it will hurt like aytch-ee-double hockeysticks, maybe I should try something different."  I believe it was Einstein who said; "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

It's one thing to see and recognize the hornet's next. It's something entirely different to step off the path and go somewhere unknown in order to avoid it.

Because really that's the rub isn't it? What if we just changed everything, shook it up, said no, stopped pretending, fell down, got messy, made a mistake and tried again, looked like a fool? We belly up to the pain like we belly up to a bar, because numbness is surely better than trying something that has risks. Sometimes letting go of the bar means falling off the stool and realizing just how messed up we really are. It means sobering up and facing life head on without the anesthetizing comfort of  things as they have always been, no matter how much we hate them.

I've lived that numb life.  I've let go and pedaled and floundered; fell down and looked the fool.  Most days I still look the fool to most folks, I suppose. But I think, I think, the key, maybe, is recognizing where I am headed, and making sure I really want what I am walking into. I don't expect everything will turn out as planned, I just expect to have one heck of a good time getting there feeding lake fish, conversing with snakes, listening to Bing Crosby sing Christmas carols at top volume, watching herons dance, shutting out the nay-sayers, squatting at the intersection to catch that just-too-perfect shot.

I can just keep walking into the hornet's nest or I can grab my ukulele, thumb my nose and start singing "Mele Kalikimaka" Life's going to happen. I get to choose what song I am singing and what path I'm traveling while it does.

1 comment:

Leann said...

LOVE THIS POST!!! I seem to be just steps behind you these days. I am just starting to change things because I don't like the results I have been getting. I am still floundering... it will get better because there is a Savior but it seems so slow most days. I feel alone very often in it as well. I wish life were just a big clear sign telling us what to do and everyone in my house would be able to see it and walk toward it. I feel that things are cryptic a lot.

I love the line you shared here... "We see something unpleasant and we walk right into it. Or we know something is going to be painful and we just keep walking as though perhaps the outcome could be something other than what we know is going to happen."

and this part....

"It's one thing to see and recognize the hornet's nest. It's something entirely different to step off the path and go somewhere unknown in order to avoid it."

It seems... in my house... that running into the familiar even though it is miserable is somehow easier than running into the unknown and change. It is hard to watch every day. It is wearing me out... :(

I love you... I love that you share your heart here again. I missed your blogging for a long time.