12.31.2011

Perfect Timing

My 2012 Love List
Generally, I get to the end of the year and think to myself, "Oh no! There was so much more I wanted to get done before (insert new year here)"  This year, I think I am the perfect amount of ready for a whole new year and wistfully nostalgic for the one that is passing.   I know many people who have had a very hard year and are more than ready to say good-bye to it. I have been in that place, not too long ago.  But this year, overall, has been a good year for me. It has stretched me, changed me and taught me many things. It has not been without its challenges, and it certainly has had some amazing rewards.  Perhaps the most obvious indicator of change within me is my readiness to move ahead without everything around me being perfectly prepared, cleaned or stored. Could I have accomplished more this year? Undoubtedly. But here I am all the same, ready or not.
I was considering ending the year with a profound and thoughtful review, and I may still do that in my private morning pages. Instead I spent a good deal of time today crafting a love list for the next year, hanging blinds with my Hunky (he hung the blinds, I provided moral support, comic relief and dropped item retrieval), taking down the Christmas items and other general meandering. It wasn't really a day that lent itself to profundity, all the better since it generally isn't a day that lends itself to many readers and I'd really hate for you to miss my best stuff.  heh.

So here we are. On the verge of a new year. For me, it will be the Year of Attention. God and I are still working out many of the details, though I am attentively waiting. I have some ideas and as January unfolds, I know many of them will be hammered out here.

So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. 
Romans 12:1-2 (emphasis mine)

2 comments:

Leann said...

I saw that same love list post and was making a plan to do that this coming week! LOL We have a very similar list, btw... again. ;) Happy New Year AnnieBananie!

Pattie said...

Happy New Year to my dear friend Dana!