12.11.2011

Sunday Salon Ed. 3


This is week in which I was very glad to have a good book to escape into. I even broke my own rule Friday and started book when I hadn't finished the one I was reading. Luckily I devoured that book in one day, went back to the original and finished it today as well. All in all, a good book week.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery  - DNF- This book took the world record in time alloted to try it out. Ten pages was more than I could stand and back to the library she went. Perhaps it would have had more time if my brain hadn't already felt heavy, but I doubt it. Sometimes you just have to be unafraid to say, "Let's pretend this never happened."  I am sorry if you are reading this and loved the book. I didn't, and I moved on.

See you in A Hundred Years by Logan Ward - When I grabbed this book I was reminded of the premise of Better Off, a book I highly recommend.  I was happy with my choice since this book was readable, amusing, interesting and definitely made me appreciate hot water and my oven. I have often thought I would enjoy living in Little House on the Prairie times, but this book set a few decades after that even, pretty much swayed me of that idea.  I'll stick to my tiny house obsession complete with electricity and running water, thank-you-very-much.  However, it was fun, educational read and brought me back around again to the concept of community which seems to be a recurring theme in my life this year.

A Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs - I have been intrigued by this book for some time but was always reluctant to read it for fear that author would be belittling or insulting of something that I hold quite sacred. But a friend assured me that I wouldn't find that, and I have to say that what I feared was the furthest experience possible from what I read.  I loved Mr. Jacobs honesty, his integrity and how respectfully he handled some of the things he found the most difficult to understand or agree with. In fact for an agnostic New Yorker of Jewish descent, we had many more similarities in our experiences in wrestling with God and the Bible, than we had differences.  I plan to check out his book Know It All some time in the future since the idea of reading the encyclopedia cover to cover has a bit of sadistic appeal to be as well.

The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen - This is the book that caused me to break my rule on Friday. I needed some serious escapism and fun, and Allen's books always provide just that. I did enjoy the Peach Keeper, but I did find it a bit formulaic and not as mystically fun as her other books have been.  The story felt a little rushed and undeveloped, almost as though there were too many ideas and characters to fit into the story line allotted. That isn't to say it was bad; it simply isn't my favorite of hers. But it did provide what I wanted it to, which was a story to pull me in and entertain me without a lot of thinking involved, which is exactly the reason I picked it up.

No comments: