1.06.2012

7 Quick Takes: A BRAND NEW YEAR! Vol 2, Ed 1

1.Happy New Year my Quick Takes peeps! And a happy Epiphany. I feel you should know that as I stand here writing this, my oldest daughter emerged from bed, came in here to give me a hug, towered over me and gloated about it. She is a cruel one, that tall girl.

2. We are pulling out our suitcases and getting ready to head out to the sunshine state on Sunday, immediately after church.  The weather wasn't looking fabulous at the beginning of this week, but it's been slowly trending to a little warmer and a little less rainy. I'm taking my bathing suit and hoping to stock up seriously on some Vit D by the pool (whether or not I deem it warm enough for swimming remains to be seen.) I'm very blessed to have generous in-laws who open their lovely condo to us and then treat us to some family fun at theme parks. I'm pretty over-the-top happy to be visiting Harry Potter world again. It really is as magical as it promises. I'm taking my Christmas flip and getting some video while we are there.  I do not like packing, so there is the slightest possibility that I am procrastinating packing by blogging. Just slightly though.


    
3.  We had our first real shot of winter here this week complete with frost, icicles, blustery wind, electric blankets, space heaters and bundling.  Good thing we aren't in the arctic circle because the temps only  dropped into the 20's and we went to these extremes. I included a picture of the icicles hanging from the boat dock to prove my case. Icicles=cold. I don't care if I can't compete with Alaska.


4. I posted a few days ago that I would like to build a bit more of a blog community here over the next year.  So in that vein I am apologizing if you have left comments here before and I have not responded, and I'm encouraging commenting even if we have never met before. Some of my closest friends today are ones I met low these many years ago when I was just a baby blogger.  I promise to respond in a timely manner.  Introduce yourself, make an observation or just tell me you like my haircut (I got it done before Christmas and I still pretty much adore it--that's a record for me and my hair)

5. I've been thinking and blogging a good deal on many internal aspects of my aspirations for 2012, but this morning I was convicted that I also need to be focusing on the external expression of these changes that I hope to bring about. It's easy to say I want to be kinder, wiser, richer and more joyful but how will I use these things to affect the world both in my neighborhood and globally. All of the sudden I have a billion more questions than I had before I looked for answers.  I commented to God this morning that sometimes it wold be really nice to have a road map. I don't expect one, but it never hurts to ask.

6. I gave up sugar, for the most part, this week. I wasn't really intending to go whole hog on the no sugar wagon until we got back from Disney, but Monday morning I got up and it was just time. I honestly did not have the issues I had when I did the Daniel fast in February/ March of last year (I call them the terrible horrible no good very very very bad days ), but I also haven't given up caffeine yet (and may not - since I am not planning a Daniel fast, but more of some very long term lifestyle changes).  So this vacation will be a bit more challenging as I attempt to not go completely off the wagon with my eating while still indulging a small bit. For the most part I am an abstainer when it comes to food, but I also know that I need to have a little food fun if I don't intend to be completely off the wagon in a very short time.

7. I really think you should take a few minutes to watch this

7 comments:

Maria Summers said...

You always make me get on this one early. AT the moment I only have one up and need to get the rest up and going as school is supposed to start in 13 minutes....We may have a late Friday.....

Maria Summers said...

Oh and can I say, when we 'met' when we were both baby bloggers, you intimidated the crap out of me. But now that I know you and we have met in real life, not so much, only sometimes.....

Pattie said...

Icicles=cold anywhere you are. Even in Alaska ;)

Have a fun vacay!

ang klocke said...

Happy New Year! Thank you for sharing that video. LOVE. IT. Love you! :D

(Hi, I'm Angela. *smiles*)

Dana Portwood said...

LOL! Maria - I never can get around the fact that some people find me intimidating. I haven't figured out why yet, I just know I hear it a few times a year. Perhaps this kinder thing is really going to help!

HI ANGELA!!! **waves wildly** I'd like a mushroom, olive and extra cheese pizza please!

Pattie you win in the cold but it did make me chuckle to say that.

Heatharlyne Wilkes said...

Hi, Dana, did you get my email a couple weeks ago? Personal story I thought you might like! By the way, I got a Chris Tomlin download for Christmas, and this song was on it. Great video!

ang klocke said...

Oh my. Your funniness is so very funny.