1.05.2012

The Floating Moments

This week has been an odd one here. We aren't in school. Everyone else has stepped back into regular life with normal routines, and we have not.  There isn't much to do in the way of housework, and it seems silly to start projects when we are leaving for a week in just a few days.  So this week has been an odd one, just floating in the middle of two holidays, and we have floated in it.

Usually in January we hit the ground running. Sometimes I burn out, but usually a get into a rhythm of life that feels good in the first few weeks. I make some changes, and make adjustments. I have lists and plans and goals. This year, however, I have been considering ideas like the ones in this article.  I don't agree with all of it, but there are things in it that are worth mulling over. I read something this week about not setting goals until February that I also liked (and am kicking myself now that I didn't bookmark  it...bummer).  I have ideas and guiding principles for the new year. I even wrote a love list, but that doesn't change the fact that there is a gentle hand holding me back from doing much more than considering the most basic framework of life for 2012. And since this is the year of Attention, well, I am paying attention to that gentle voice.

It's been a bit oddly freeing, this floating time. I've sketched and journaled.  I've read some, and purged some, hung out with friends a wee bit. I've had time to cut sugar out of my diet and sleep in a bit. I've had lots of time to listen, and do some honest self-examination, which for once wasn't as bad as it could have been.  The moments float by without agendas to weight them down and I can wait for whatever it is that comes next, whenever it is ready to be revealed.

4 comments:

Maria Summers said...

While I have been diligent this week about getting into the swing of things, and thinking about goals etc. I have yet to put things down on paper or blog if you will.

This year has purpose for me, I can feel it. I am trying not to label it for fear of using my own words and labels on it. But I feel it out there just out of reach at the moment. I am, however, working on things now that I can so as to be ready when that purpose is revealed.

Dana Portwood said...

That's it exactly, Maria. I am not sitting around idle, but I'm also well aware that I'm not completely in the know about all the details of my theme this year. That's ok. Because God is NEVER late...no matter what the calendar says.

lakecrestgirl said...

I admire that you have goals and lists. I've never had a purpose or an idea for the year. It seems like I live one work week to the next, one audit to the next, one quarter to the next... This "thing" to the next "thing."
Why (and how) did you start yearly themes and goals?

Dana Portwood said...

Whew, that's a loaded question, Cathy. How about I answer it tomorrow as a blog?