1.27.2012

Quick Takes Friday: Vol 2; Ed. 4


1. I am finishing up the first week of going dark on the internet (except blogging).  It's been interesting, and busy. I'm not even sure how or why this week seems so frantically, crazily busy, but it does.  Maybe it always feels like this but because I disengage from it regularly online, it wasn't as noticeable.  Whatever the case, there have been moments when I have circled the computer like prey only to walk away disgusted with myself. I have crocheted three hats, and am making another trip to Goodwill with the back of the van full again. I swear stuff literally replicates in the dark corners of closets. Insanity.

2. A goose couple have moved into our yard, and they are hilarious.  I know that everyone else on the planet says they are disgusting, loud and a nuisance.  They are loud but they make me laugh. Yesterday they made their way up to the sun room windows and proceeded to verbally harangue the dog for many minutes. The gander spends a great deal of time doing neck acrobatics and waddle foot dancing; the goose spends a great deal of time looking disinterestedly into the distance. I'm secretly hoping the seduction works and they make sweet love, nest among the crepe myrtle, making us goslings to enjoy all spring.  Occasionally another gander swims over and then a sort of open mouth jousting occurs, and I yell "DUELING GANDERS" and attempt to sound like the banjoes from Deliverance.  This is my life off the internet.

3. I am currently failing miserably at reading only one book at a time. I made the concession that I needed a fiction book to read when I am reading deeper non-fiction because sometimes my brain needs escape, not more deep thoughts. That blossomed into two non-fiction books.  Then three. I am currently once again reading four books. This must end.  I obviously need an object on which to focus my obsessions.

4. We have been watching Ken Burns mini-series "The War" as part of our study of World War II.  I was so fascinated by his Civil War series, but this one...oh this one is breaking my heart in two.  The girls weren't very interested in the Civil War series, but even they are having a hard time not becoming interested and involved with the stories of the soldiers, the families and the countries of this war.  They claim to disdain history, but I maybe it's that they didn't feel a connection to the history we have studied previously. This series mentions things they know, cultural references they understand and identify with. It involves family members they know and remember.  They are connected whether they want to be or not.

5. My amazing Hunky is currently romancing my socks off with twenty days of surprises since we are coming up in twenty years together, February 14th.  That's half a lifetime for both of us. Amazing.  Tonight the kids are having a sleepover with some friends next door, so dinner is being prepared for me here.  I love being spoiled.

6. Am I the only person who can't even believe that January is almost over? How did that happen?

7. I have a confession to make. There are still Christmas lights up in my dining room. They truly did get overlooked when I put all the Christmas things away.  Not only are they still up, but on rainy days I still turn them on and enjoy them.  We use white lights on the deck year round, but this really breaks my personal rule that colored lights are only for Christmas time.  Still, every time I look at them, I decide to leave them there just a little bit longer.  Maybe I am getting soft in my advancing years...

10 comments:

Pattie said...

We purposely hung Christmas lights in the living room after Christmas...because we need the extra light in this land o'darkness...so I say "GO FOR IT." If they make you happy, leave them up.

Windy McKenzie said...

I just talked to my mom to ask her if she still has any of my grandfather's WWII stuff. Apparently she has a diary from someone in his battery. She said she would look for it this weekend if you're interested.

Maria Summers said...

We will have been together 18 years on the 20th of Feb.

Dana Portwood said...

They do right now. But one day I will likely say ENOUGH and take them down (not today though!)

Dana Portwood said...

Yes! I would like that!

Dana Portwood said...

:)
I love a good long love story.

Heather Truett said...

I feel you on the Goodwill bags. Where does this stuff come from? I cannot possibly buy it all, can I?

I read only one novel at a time... to myself. But, then, I listen to novels in the car, with the boys, and Haydn and I read novels and fairly tales for school and I listen to books while I cook and clean...

lakecrestgirl said...

If your interested for your study, we have the complete World at War series. It's really good.

Dana Portwood said...

I finished several so I am back to about two. Maybe I just can't be literarily monogamous. I just also can't let it get completely out of control like 4-5 - EEP!

Dana Portwood said...

I would like to hear more about this tomorrow night!