1.14.2012

Wisdomous

Who is wise and understanding among you? let him show by his good life his works in meekness of wisdom. James 3:13

 I've been putting off addressing this portion of my New Year's Tenets because I honestly, am not entirely sure how to bring it to fruition. I know how to learn things, how to gain knowledge. I know how to research, aggregate and memorize.  But wisdom, well I think we can all agree that wisdom is another beast altogether.  To have more wisdom at the end of the year means nothing about learning more, spewing facts or or even spouting scripture complete with book, chapter and verse address intact (a feat which generally fails me.  Text I can handle. Address? fuhgettaboutit. ). Wisdom means accumulating all my stored knowledge, experiences and emotions and combining them in the right way, at the right time and in the right amount.  It also means I darn well better learn double quick how to really hear the Holy Spirit speak to me because there is no darn way I am going to accomplish even the first part of that on my own.  Sometimes I can't remember the last name of my neighbors. Truth.

So I am a wee bit stumped how to go about breaking down gaining wisdom.
Obviously it isn't something that can be measured by books I read (shame, that. I can slam down some serious books).  In fact, the more I think about it, the more I realize that this may be the most important of my four tenets integrating kindness, compassion, joy, gratitude, generosity, fasting, physical labor, spending, teaching, learning, speaking, creating, writing, relating to others, parenting, love-making and all the other facets of me into a glorious wholeness that reflects the One who made me in His image.

The last few months have provided me with an opportunity to make a response choice.  I believe I have told my Hunky no less than twenty times: "I am not going to be the person I was then.  I am going to be the person God wants me to be today."  Perhaps that is the beginning of wisdom.  It would be easy to fall into old behavior patterns. It's familiar to do what has already been done, but is it the person God is calling me to be?  Which of course would be a thousand times easier if there were a pattern of behaviors that matched every possible set of circumstances.  But there isn't.  Jesus wasn't just a friend and healer (though He most certainly is those things), the man also braided a whip to be used against wickedness in His Father's house, lobbed verbal grenades at Pharisees, and cut to the quick of problems with a few well spoken Truths.

Wise does not equal nice. It does not equal doormat. It does not mean changing all of the facets of my personality which may have been used in ways that were less than God glorifying in the past.

It does  mean being so close to mouth of God that I can hear it whisper to me moment by moment what words, actions, attitudes and prayers will unlock the Power that already resides within me.

I don't know how to become wiser except to start by listening ( theme overlap, much? ). There are two sure-fire ways I know to hear more clearly: The Word and prayer. So I am starting the new year making room and quiet for those two things: praying the hours and daily reading and meditation of Scripture.

I have such a very long way to go.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

I love praying the hours. I often manage to do Morning Prayer and sometimes Evening Prayer. Oh, and I love Compline...I've almost got it memorized. I use a format used by the Episcopal church. There was a time when I couldn't pray or read scripture, and God used the Liturgy of the Hours from the Catholic church, which I listened to on a podcast (praystation portable). I haven't read the book you linked, so maybe it's not the same as having a liturgy to pray the hours.

Lorri said...

Oooh, are you going to try the 10 list reading system? I've been doing it since the end of November and while it took a while to get used to, there are things that I REALLY like about it. Seeing some of the themes repeated in multiple books of different testaments and genres is fascinating to me. And I have to admit, doing it in an actual Bible and flipping back and forth is building my knowledge of where different things are. And I can't even tell you how much I look forward to turning to list #9, which is in Isaiah right now. :)

Dana Portwood said...

Yes Michelle, it is a very liturgical format which for me is a good thing. I am not a very focused pray-er!

Pattie said...

The first thing that I thought when reading this is, "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom," and you have that in spades. I can also relate to the integration of the facets of us into who God wants us to be - and you said it so much more articulately than I did this morning...

Dana Portwood said...

I love love love love repeating themes - which basically is the whole Bible- fall, redemption, obedience, grace etc.
So far I am loving it--in fact from the get go I have been loving it. I did make one minor change and I broke the prophets into major and minor

And Isaiah and Jeremiah are two of my very favorite books.

Craig and I both laughed that I have to reread Acts so many times. I do not love Acts. I am sure that God is teaching me to love it!

Dana Portwood said...

Ok so this is pretty much the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. Thank you, Pattie Pie. What a great encouragement.

Leann Richardson said...

I have been reading Psalms and Proverbs very slowly in the last year... God has been showing me continually that wisdom, in essence, means I no longer exist but Christ in me. It is an emptying of what I think I should be and do and say and in it's place a filling... of the Holy Spirit (as you mentioned above) and the filling of the mind, body, soul... with Christ every single day. Not religiosity but real relationship where I am no longer living for me but for Christ. When I am full of the Truth and the things of God I cannot help but respond in wisdom. I am so far from this... it is, indeed, the hardest thing I have ever encountered. I love this post... you are on your way my dearest! I love you!

Windy McKenzie said...

I think I really need to read that prayer book. It looks really good!

Dana Portwood said...

Leann - my Bible reading plan that I am doing now will have me reading Proverbs completely through every month this year, and Psalms at least twice. It will be a good start, no doubt.
Love you back! Thanks for the encouragement!

Dana Portwood said...

It is so good Windy. When you are over next (or I am where you are) you will have to browse through it.

Leann Richardson said...

I took a look at that reading plan... WOW! Dan loved it, too. I think I will start on it this summer. I am pretty up to my neck in study this semester and with finishing up from last year. Thanks for sharing the link! :)