4.15.2012

100 Things

I have waffled on making this post approximately 1,000 times in the past week. I think it's because once I say it, I have to do it.  Ya'll are my witnesses (and some of you know where I live).  But I think it's simply time to leap off the cliff and see what's at the bottom (kind of hoping it's a very big marshmallow).

I read this book while I was in Arizona:
    
I really liked it. A lot.

I had read about people doing this particular challenge in October when I was purging and cleaning and simplifying, you remember the drill. But I didn't really go for it because I knew that in a house with four other people, there was no way I was getting down to only 100 things. But then I read the book, and realized that the author also had a wife and children, and he did whittle down to under 100 things. 100 personal things. That is where it becomes a possibility. He didn't count family items (though his family also went through a major purging phase, as we have been and still are), just items that were exclusively his were counted. 

Consider my interest piqued.

I know. It's crazy right? I mean it is crazy. Who lives with just 100 things or less to call their own?
Only about 80% of the world.
And don't even think that I consider myself remotely comparable to their life situation by getting rid of 32 shirts and 12 pairs of shoes, and then sitting on my sofa and thinking how humble I am.

'Cause I so don't.

I do know that I feel entirely too entitled most of the time. That I tend to pile and hoard if left unchecked. That I can obsess about things, using them to feel secure, loved, important, successful, needed.  It's just not healthy.

And also, I cleaned my house in a flat hour today. Every room (Well, not the kids rooms. I do the birthing so they can do the cleaning in their areas). And a couple loads of laundry, too.

Seriously, summer's coming..the lake is swim worthy again. There's about ten billion things I would rather be doing than bogged down inside caring for stuff half of which I stopped enjoying a decade ago? WHO NEEDS THAT?!?! 

So. There's that. 
100 things.  I don't know if I'll be able to get there by May 1st, but we'll call it a journey in progress until I do. 

8 comments:

Pattie said...

I love this: "a journey in progress."
That'll preach.
Incidentally, it fits in with the sermon today.

BK said...

So does include photos? Memorabilia? Books?

Leann Richardson said...

I truly am not following you around and copying you... I promise! LOL I have been reading about this online and it has intrigued me, too. I am not at a place to do this just yet but a day is coming as we continue to purge the house. My oldest won't be taking even 50 belongings off to college and plans to live simply through his time there. I love how my children are embracing some of these ideas.

I am reading a book now called Year of Plenty and I think you might enjoy it, too. It is about living a year eating and only buying local when they have to purchase something. I love it so far. It is written by Craig L. Goodwin.

We are planting veggies this coming week.... a little late but I waited on a bit of extra money to buy seeds so we could have a garden this summer again. My youngest will be helping for cub scout conservation project requirements. Scouting has taught us a great deal, too, about living a more thoughtful life.

I hope you share your 100 journey as you go...

Dana Portwood said...

LOL! It IS all a journey, but there is something different about this year. God is telling me, "Get this. Get this. Get this. This is key." I don't have ANY FREAKING CLUE what it's key for, but something pivotal is happening.

Dana Portwood said...

Barb - the author of book kept a small library and labeled it as one thing "Library" and one small box of memorabilia and called it one thing.
He said in the book he took some hits on that as cheating, but it was his challenge and he got to make the rules. He encourages other people to make it work for them the best way it can. I am not a huge memorabilia person so that won't be hard. we've culled many many many many books this year. I'd like to get down to 50ish. THAT will be part of the journeying process.

Dana Portwood said...

That was one of the more intriguing things about this book- the author is Christian. Now it's not written to marketed as a Christian book, but that perspective does underlie the entire experience. I'll have to look into the Year of Plenty, it looks very interesting. I WANT to garden but am daunted by the prospect. However Kindle has a great free gardening book (Everything: Grow your own vegetables) that looks good (thanks Pat AND Pattie for the heads up!) I may start small this year and see what happens. We have a solar window with garden box that we could use to grow tomatoes all year. I really DO want to utilize that better.

I will definitely be sharing my journey!

Leann Richardson said...

I picked that gardening book up on nook, too... does look good. I started very small years ago with little pots in the window of herbs and then it just grew from there. Some years I have small and some years I go hog wild! If you water them they kinda take care of themselves. I do have to research new organic methods from time to time because I get squash beetles or the occasional tomato worm but I prefer to grow without the pesticides. I love the idea of companion planting for bug control but have not learned nearly enough about that.

I look forward to your sharing! :)

Craig Goodwin said...

Leann, glad to hear you are enjoying Year of Plenty. If you all are looking for gardening advice I thought you all might be interested in a recent series I did on my blog - http://www.yearofplenty.org/gardening/

All the best on your gardening and consumption adventures.

Craig Goodwin