4.10.2012

Filthy Rich

Right as we were leaving for Arizona, the power-ball lottery grew to some unfathomable amount and someone won (or maybe someones - I don't remember the details.) It was big news on the bus on the way to the airport.
I didn't play the power-ball, though I've played lottery a time or two in the past.  This isn't a blog about "the evils of lottery" since I don't actually need the lottery to give me an excuse to throw my money away.  I do that quite well every single day without even encroaching into the areas of spiritually nebulous subjects.

The truth is that I am filthy rich.

Don't misunderstand, nothing has changed financially for us lately. We still drive old cars, live on one income, fret about taxes.  None of that changes the reality that by the world's standards, I am disgustingly rich and unbelievably careless and irresponsible with my money.  I knew that before we left.  I've been referring to a  consumer fast. Maybe I just needed to drive around the Apache nation a bit to really be hit hard with the fact that I. do. not. spend. responsibly.

I rationalize.
I justify.
And I spend.

Books, clothes, shoes, make up, house hold items - most things doubly damned because not only are they things I do not actually need, but I buy them from places that sell poor products for cheap labor, treating people as little better than slaves.

I allow slavery to remain alive and well in this world, and I pay money to do it.

I threw up in my mouth a little bit just typing that.

And so and so and so and so I can't just pretend I don't know the things I know any more.  I don't feel guilty for the fact that I was born in an affluent country at an affluent time.  I can't change that any more than I can change the color of my skin or eyes (I can and do change my hair color frequently.) Me in this time and place is completely God ordained. But with ordination comes obedience and a standard of living and giving, one that has somehow been shuffled out of sight in our modern day version of Christian obedience.

My money is not, in fact, mine to do with whatever I want, no matter how hard I may work for it.
I am, in fact, responsible for the care of those less fortunate than me.
What's more, it's not all about me (not even in the month leading up to my Birthday, the Day-of-all-Days!)

So in the days to come, I will  be hammering out a plan for living, a plan that is off the consumer bandwagon. A plan that will require sacrifice and creativity. A plan that will make me more aware of who I am and who I am called to be. One year. No consumption.

Counting down to May 1.

8 comments:

megtuck said...

This is my favorite post of yours yet.

Cathy N said...

Looking forward to reading more of this journey. I miss you! I need to get on Google+ more. Love and Prayers are always being sent your way...well, the prayers aren't "sent" but you know what I mean. :)

Becky Perry said...

Do you plan to share more details on your consumer fast? I am definitely interested. I think I am beginning to "see the light".

Dana Portwood said...

and this is why I love you!

Dana Portwood said...

I really haven't been on Google plus at all lately. When I'm posting here you are getting the most up-to-date excitement I've got! :D

Dana Portwood said...

I will be Becky. This along with the 100 things challenge will be works in progress, and details will be shared.

Monika said...

Your point "by the world's standards, I am disgustingly rich and unbelievably careless and irresponsible with my money" was basically the crux of my Lenten discipline this year. It was horrifying, to be honest.

I'm looking forward to following you on your journey!

Dana Portwood said...

I too am horrified by my own self. I actually consider myself fairly purged and simple, and yet I STILL managed to clear another two bags of clothes from my closet today. What is this madness??