5.25.2012

Quick Takes Friday; Vol. 2. Ed. 14


1. I haven't posted a quick takes in two weeks. I haven't blogged in an entire week.  Instead, I went home. I went home and hugged my mom and brothers; I played in the dirt and invested in an herb garden. We celebrated life and more life.  We waited ridiculously long amounts of time for minor things. We ate copiously; we laughed more copiously. We were entirely ourselves again (still always missing our Dad ), and although that changes nothing about my brother's circumstances, it changed a great deal about my perspective. I needed that, desperately.  I needed to hug his tall, gangly frame and look into his crinkly blue eyes and just feel the very realness of him to remember that this is only an interruption. A scary, horrible, sickening interruption, but only an interruption all the same. In a few months we will still be entirely us, and he will be entirely cancer-free. That's something I am hanging onto in all my prayers.

My "Live Long" band I purchased in honor of my brother.

Hope is the thing with feathers 
That perches in the soul, 
And sings the tune without the words, 
And never stops at all...
    Emily Dickinson


2. Going back to the subject of the herb garden, I am excited to finally do this thing that I have wanted to do for years and years.  I don't know what kept me from it, but I think it may have been a bit of misplaced guilt, guilt at doing something entirely fun with only nominal benefit and guilt at the initial expense of starting the pastime.  I'm getting better at allowing things that are joyful without having any real dividend.  Who knows who instilled in me the idea that fun was wasteful; probably the same individual that tells all of us that rest is for the lazy, sleep is for the weak and boredom should be avoided at all cost.  That voice doesn't really have a place in my life these days, and I think I am the better for it.  I started with seven or eight herbs, some mints (apple, peppermint and spearmint), some lovely oreganoes and thymes, (couldn't we all do with more thyme?) delicious basils (one a gift from a wise brother who knows me well) and one gorgeous parsley, a gift from a sweet friend.  I'm still hunting for the crown jewel, cilantro, and some chives. I may try a bit of chocolate mint as well.  All of  them need potting still, but that is a job for tomorrow.  Today is a rest day.

3. In two weeks my whole family except me goes to camp. I get to stay home and just be. By. myself.  It is one of my very favorite things! I am more than a little excited!

4. I came home with a few other treasures from my mom's house, which resulted in a quite a few conversations about what a minimalist is doing bringing things in instead of getting rid of things. I find this to be a common misunderstanding about what it means to minimalize. I've disposed many things in various ways allowing me the benefit of bringing in things that I truly enjoy. I don't have to feel obligated to hang on to something because it might be useful one day, or because I loved it long ago even if I really don't anymore. One of the things I received was an adorable set of summery plates with a matching serving bowl and platter set:


Could they be any happier? The plates are very small but perfect for a strawberry and cheese breakfast enjoyed under the Mother's Day deck umbrella on a summer morning.  I don't hate all things. I simply want to enjoy every thing I have, and when you have too much that isn't possible.  Having less means I have time - time to share, enjoy, contemplate and use the things I keep. Win-win-win.

5. Speaking of minimalism, I packed for four days away entirely in a duffle bag. It was FABULOUS.  I'm pretty impressed, if I do say so myself. That includes running wear, books and cosmetics. All in one bag. Old dogs can  learn new tricks!

6. In the realm of gross but practical, I carried a wee traveler home with me from Tennessee in the shape of a tick latched on between my toes.  I recently heard that a dish soap soaked cotton ball will force them to detach and then you just wipe them away as they stick to the soap on the cotton ball.  I tried it and met with a GREAT success. Winter was so mild this year, "experts" say that it will be a bad year for the little critters, so I am glad to have an easy way to remove them. I also hear that tea tree oil and water mixed at 1:2 ratio makes a good tick repellent. I haven't tried that, but I am keeping it in mind.

7. After a long and somewhat non-committal  spring, I think we finally are entering summer. The temps are consistently up, meaning we have closed the windows and turned on the a/c.  I'm always sad when this happens because I love fresh air and open windows, but not enough to leave the air off.  Grandma graciously loaded the girls up with new floats, noodles and various other swimming go-withs so we are geared up and ready to go for the season. Here's to an easy summer with floating, gardening, relaxing and even some projects. But on my day of rest, I am not really wanting to explore the projects so we'll just talk about those another day.

1 comment:

Aisling Beatha said...

I love your delight at packing so small. I remember some of the comments at the airport when I arrived about "That's it? for 2 whole weeks?" heeheee