10.02.2012

Old Things New: New Things Day 2

**If this is your first 31 Day entry and you would like to read more about the project, please look at the 31 Days tab at the top of this page.**

"It is true I never assisted the sun materially in his rising,but, doubt not, it was of the last importance  only to be present  at it." ~~Thoreau
I haven't stopped practicing my 31 day project from last year: Simply Living.  At the time I would have said that I admire and would like to become a minimalist one day; now, I simply call myself a minimalist. I'm not a perfect minimalist (I'm not a perfect anything), but I am learning what is important to me.  A minimalist isn't a person who owns nothing, but she is someone who knows what things are important, and acquires or disposes of accordingly.  It is a counter-cultural way of living, to say the least. Sometimes, not often but sometimes, it seems weighty with discipline and slightly ridiculous. When those times come I try to find new inspiration that encourages me that this on-going project is not just a fad or a whim, but it's a lifestyle choice that reflects my faith, my principles and my plans for the future. Lately, I've been feeling the need to reinforce the things I know to be true, testing the foundations to ensure their strength. Today I picked up a book I've been meaning to read since college, really, but never made it a priority. I won't say I didn't have the time in twenty years to read one book, my lifetime of book devouring declare that statement a lie.

Thoreau's Walden managed to trample my toes, sharpen my focus and undergird my lifestyle all in the mere twenty pages I digested this afternoon:  I'm looking forward to continuing to be prodded and enlightened by one of the forefathers of minimalism. It's good to look at old ideas a new way and through a new voice:

"Actually the laboring man has not leisure for true integrity day by day; he cannot afford to sustain the manliest relations to men; his labor would be depreciated in the market. He has no time to be anything but a machine." 
"It is never too late to give up our prejudices. No way of thinking or doing, however ancient, can be trusted without proof. What everybody echoes, or in silence passes by as true today may turn out to be falsehood tomorrow, mere smoke of opinion, which some had trusted for a cloud that would sprinkle fertilizing rains on their fields." 
"We are made to exaggerate the importance of what work we do; yet how much is not done by us!" 
"I say beware of any enterprise that requires new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes. If there is not a new man, how can the clothes be made to fit? If you have any enterprise before you, try it in your old clothes." 


2 comments:

Pattie said...

I should not be shocked that you haven't read it yet, because I think of you with it all the time--not just the "simplify, simplify" part, but the living beside the lake part.

Becky Perry said...

Minimalism still intrigues me. I am not a minimalist but maybe I am more of one since apartment living.